Are you looking to contribute your expertise to one of North America’s most exciting and creative businesses? Are you looking to join a strong visionary team, carving out a new path in one of Canada’s most innovative communities?
The successful candidate will become an integral player in our continuous creation of new social enterprise opportunities on Fogo Island, strengthening the impact of social business in Canada and abroad.
Job Title: Production Manager, Permanent, Full Time
Location: Fogo Island, NL
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Production Manager will lead a team of furniture makers and wood workers in producing crafted wood items intended for a design market. The Production Manager will continually analyze production methods for the most efficient methods, while maintaining a high standard of locally, hand-built furniture and wood products. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop the build process for each wood item; i.e. determine sequence of cutting or shaping
- Product development in conjunction with design department to create prototype pieces/patterns
- Ensure production and quality requirements are met in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- Analyse and read, technical drawings and schematics
- Maintain and develop a catalogue of technical drawings and production specifications
- Lead, train, develop and mentor all departmental assigned team members
- Maintain discipline to procedures, in accordance with safety, quality, engineering, human resources, and finance department guidelines
- Assess requirements for additional equipment to increase production and efficiency
- Oversee the preventative maintenance of all operating equipment
- Source woodshop consumables and tools
- Responsible to maintain a clean, organized woodshop
- Additional duties to meet the needs of the organization
Skills and Experience
Training & Experience
- Must be trained as a Journeyperson carpenter in Newfoundland and Labrador; Red Seal designation is an asset
- Minimum 10 years of carpentry experience
- Minimum 3 years production management experience
- Cabinetmaking and/or furniture building experience is an asset
Position Specific Skills
- Experience leading a mid-sized production system
- Must be able to read technical build drawings
- Must be familiar with industrial woodshop production tools: Shaper, panel saw, jointer and planer
- Exceptional leadership and team building skills
- Good communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
Personal Skills & Interests
- Hardworking, reliable and punctual
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to time manage and multi-task
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive Salary and Benefits package
- Great organizational culture
- Opportunities to advance
- Possible relocation and shared housing assistance (position based on Fogo Island, NL)
About our Organization
Shorefast was established to contribute to the economic and cultural resilience of Fogo Island, Newfoundland, creating a model for contemporary rural communities. Activities are focused at the intersection of business, art, community and nature.
The Shorefast Group operate a social enterprise model where surpluses from business activity flow through the Charity and are reinvested in community programs. Entities under this unique corporate structure include Shorefast Foundation (federally registered Canadian charity) and Fogo Island Arts (contemporary art residency programme), alongside for-profit business ventures including Fogo Island Inn, Fogo Island Shop, Fogo Island Fish, and Community Host Services.
Social business is an emerging field in Canada, where for-profit economic activity directly contributes to positive social outcomes typically served by the non-profit community. Shorefast is a leader in this emerging space, creating not-just-for-profit businesses that maximize return on sacred capital (natural, social, cultural) alongside economic capital. The goal is to create a next generation economy of strong, resilient communities – a global network of deeply local places.
The successful candidate will join a committed team and help create business in service of community.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line Production Manager
Questions about this position may be directed to: Nathan Ball at email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
For further information visit our websites: