Are you looking to contribute your expertise to one of North America’s most exciting and creative businesses? Are you looking to join a strong visionary team, carving out a new path in one of Canada’s most innovative communities?
The Woodshop on Fogo Island is seeking a Production Support individual to join its growing team on Fogo Island, based in the Society of United Fishermen’s Hall in Barr’d Islands. If you enjoy working with wood, are good with your hands and creative with a keen eye for detail, this could be the perfect position for you.
The successful candidate will become be an integral player in our continuous creation of new social enterprise opportunities on Fogo Island, strengthening the impact of social business in Canada and abroad.
Job Title: Production Support (or Cabinet Maker), Permanent, Full Time
Location: Fogo Island, NL
The Production Support team member will assist the Production Team in preparing wood items for the finishing department. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Cut, shape, mold and assemble furniture, such as tables, chairs, benches, etc in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Operate woodworking machines such as joiner, planer, lathe, shaper, panel saw, etc.
- Detect, remove and repair defects in material
- Sand and apply finishes such as stain, oil, or paint to products as per SOP
- Follow the production schedule and meet targeted deadlines
Technical drawings and schematics
- Comply with all company health and safety policies and procedures at all times
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area
- Additional duties to meet the needs of the organization
Skills and Experience
Training & Experience
- Any combination of training, wood working experience and education which provides the required knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position
- Finishing or cabinetmaking experience an asset
- Minimum of a high school diploma
Position Specific Skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be able to read technical build drawings
- Must be familiar with industrial woodshop production tools
- Capacity to work in a deadline-oriented environment
- Good communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
Personal Skills & Interests
- Willingness to take direction and learn new skills to succeed In the role
- Team player with a roll up your sleeves approach to getting the job done
- Excel in a fast paced and demanding start-up environment
- A passion for small communities
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive Salary and Benefits package
- Great organizational culture
- Opportunities to advance
- Possible relocation and shared housing assistance (position based on Fogo Island, NL)
About our Organization
Shorefast was established to contribute to the economic and cultural resilience of Fogo Island, Newfoundland, creating a model for contemporary rural communities. Activities are focused at the intersection of business, art, community and nature.
The Shorefast Group operate a social enterprise model where surpluses from business activity flow through the Charity and are reinvested in community programs. Entities under this unique corporate structure include Shorefast Foundation (federally registered Canadian charity) and Fogo Island Arts (contemporary art residency programme), alongside for-profit business ventures including Fogo Island Inn, Fogo Island Shop, Fogo Island Fish, and Community Host Services.
Social business is an emerging field in Canada, where for-profit economic activity directly contributes to positive social outcomes typically served by the non-profit community. Shorefast is a leader in this emerging space, creating not-just-for-profit businesses that maximize return on sacred capital (natural, social, cultural) alongside economic capital. The goal is to create a next generation economy of strong, resilient communities – a global network of deeply local places.
The successful candidate will join a committed team and help create business in service of community.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line Production Manager
Questions about this position may be directed to: Nathan Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
For further information visit our websites: